Hello? Anybody home?

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:37 AM

I am in the early stages of a project that could take advantage of this feature, if it proves capable and reliable.  The lack of developer attention to this site is not encouraging, however.

One early question I have is regarding addins using other addins.  I've made a stab at proving this but it appears that when a second addin tries to use the first addin the runtime engine complains that the first addin hasn't been implemented in the  second addin.  Reminds me of a DLL with a link library, where the compiler says everything is OK but at runtime the OS can't find the DLL.

I will peek in here to see if there is any activity in the next few weeks.  If not, it looks like my team will skip this in favor of our own implementation.

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I don't think you'll get a response out of MS, but my series on MAF Gymnastics sounds like it would help you:

The Service Provider post in particular shows how one add-in can provide a service to other add-ins. Sounds trivial, but it's not.

HTH,
Kent

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Thanks for the links, Kent.  A quick glance looks like your example does what I want.  I'll keep bashing away at this but one day soon I will have to answer the rest of the team as to why we should bother with all this pain?  There's something the docs could do a better job of explaining.  Not just what MAF can do but why is it better than other approaches?

Oct 4, 2009 at 4:53 AM

Here: http://pipelinebuilder.codeplex.com/