AddIns built against an older version of the AddInViews assembly not being found by FindAddIn

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM

I have a MAF project which has been manually built under VS2010 .Net 4 (fully updated).

If I rebuild all of the required MAF assemblies (HostViews, AddInViews, Contracts and adapter) and all of the AddIns then MAF will successfully find all of the Addins which are stored in the default AddIn folder of the PipelineStore.

However, If I try to include an AddIn which has been build against an older version of the AddInViews assembly (For instance compiled against version (Assembly and File) 1.0.0.1 but the currently loaded version is 1.0.0.2, then calling AddInStore.FindAdd() does not include the AddIn compiled against an older version.  All addins compiled against the current version are returned.

I've tried calling AddInStore.Rebuild and AddInStore.Update but there is still no luck.  Calling these methods does not return any warnings (nor do I get any exceptions)

Using the debugger to look at the AddInStore details I can see that the AddIn I'm trying to find is located in the AddInStore addinState information but still it doesn't get returned when trying to find it.

I can rebuild the Addin that is not currently being found but my major concern is that once we release our product for 3rd parties to create plugins then we will not be able to issue newer version our project without have to get all Addins rebuilt.

Is there a setting I'm missing which allows MAF to ignore version information?  Or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks for you help.

Rob.

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:15 PM
I also have this issue. I need to update the version numbers of all my classes as I release a new version of my solution. I can't updated the Add-In pipeline classes, specifically the AddInView dll, because that prevents older Add Ins referencing the older AddInView dll from loading (being found) anymore.

I really need an answer for to this dilemma.